Thursday, April 20, 2006

Vientiane

I've arrived in Vientiane, sleepy backwater capital of Laos. It's been an exhausting but fun day.
Last night, in Hanoi, I filled in on an expat darts team. My friend Michael, the co-owner of the hostel where I stay when in Hanoi, invited me along. We were playing a team of American expats who were hosting the game at the American Club. We lost, but went to celebrate anyway at the bar which Michael also co-owns. I finally excused myself at 2am and got a ride on a motorcycle back to the hostel where I awoke a couple hours later, at 4:30am, to catch a shuttle to the airport. Exhuasted and drunk, I checked into my flight and an hour later touched down in Vientiane.
I had made plans by Email to meet my friend Patrick (with whom I travelled in Cambodia three years ago) here in Vientiane. I knew that he also arrived today by plane, but not when. By an astounding coincidence, his plane touched down shortly after mine and I surprised him in the immigration hall waiting for his visa.
Patrick had met an Australian woman working at a mine in Laos on his flight and we got a ride with her into town. She took us out to lunch. It was mid-afternoon by the time we set off to find a guesthouse. We took one overlooking the Mekong and I quickly fell asleep. I was awakened a couple hours later by Patrick and we set off on a walk around central Vientiane. On the way we ran into Scott, from England, who I had met on Ko Phi Phi. Such is the nature of traveling in this part of the world that one constantly runs into aquaintances from other countries.
This evening, Patrick and I enjoyed a delicious meal and several carafes of wine at a French restaurant overlooking the main square in town.
Tomorrow we'll continue our exploration of Vientiane and possibly take a bus north.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home