Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Phnom Phen

The guy on the computer next to me has been playing online backjack for the past hour and a half. Who comes to Phnom Phen to play online blackjack?

I flew from Bangkok to Phnom Phen.
I'm staying at Guesthouse #9 on the east side of Boeung Kak Lake. It's a nice place. The whole structure--rooms, restaurant, bar--is built on stilts over the water.

Yesterday I gave blood at the Children Hospital's Blood Bank.
I got a free t-shirt.
And a bag of food.
The food I dropped off at a nearby orphanage.
The t-shirt I kept.
I need to do laundry.

Today I dropped off my passport at the Vietnamese embassy.
And I visited the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum, a high school-cum-interrogation and torture centre. It was the main such centre under the Khmer Rouge regime.

The city looks much the same as when I was last here almost four years ago.
The airport still looks brand new.
In fact, they still have the same signs at the immigration counters apologising for delays caused by the 'new' computer system.
And they still have the same painfully slow immigration officials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home